Tuesday 26 March 2013

A Shitload of Sets?

I am not one to fear the squat, nor am I a fearer of high frequency training.
I do however have a distinct hatred for the pain that comes with high rep high intensity training low rest that is accustom to 'bodybuilding' routines.  And anyway all i want to do is get stronger, not bigger. being bigger just makes running/jogging more difficult.

Previously I have done a squat challenge where I challenged myself to Squat EVERYDAY for 24 days, and although on the first 15 days my performance dropped and I was very close to giving up thinking this is a waste of time, by day 19 I was making some new Personal Bests and by the results day 4 days after finishing, I managed to squat a full 10kg more than I had at the start of the month!

Since then in the last 2 months my squats have stayed pretty much the same but I have managed to get a tiny bit of an increase bringing my current max up to 134kg.

My thoughts just now are that I could go and re-do that challenge, but there was a major issue with that training programme.
My appetite went through the roof, and I lost almost all control over my diet.  There is something about High intensity but  low volume (and low exersion relatively) that spikes my appetite and makes me crave food like nothing else!  so for the last 2 months I have not only been trying to keep the strength and increase it but also get my weight, eating pattern and diet back on track.


So new idea,  sprung to my head after seeing a thing for the Russian squat programme found here
This looked like fun and had an emphasis on strength rather than size.
On day 1 I tested out what 6 sets of 2 reps on 80% max feels like.  I ended up doing 82%max as I just rounded the weight to 110kg and got to 6 sets.
That was easy.
so I did a couple more
then i did a couple where i was really doing pause squats,
then i did one without a belt
then i did another 2
and then i though... cant leave on 13 so did another one and the left.

So a total of 14 sets of 2 reps @ 82%max
To be honest, it wasnt all that difficult, and that was after attempting a max lift on deadlift beforehand.
I then went and did some killer Glute Ham Raises.
and the next day my legs are not really that bothered.

So here is the plan for the next Month

Squat 3 days a week
1) 15 sets x 2 reps x 80%max (110)
2) 10 sets x 3 reps x 86% max (115)
3) 15 sets x 1 rep x 90% max (120) (that should be a killer!)

Then the next week all the same again but with an extra 2.5kg

A total of 40 sets and only 75 reps (not including warm up sets) 
This should be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment